The new VELA FS 408 is a midsize floor-standing speaker featuring all the great technology and beloved design elements of the highly successful VELA series. VELA FS 408 features a 2½-way concept in a vented cabinet with two 180 mm AS-XR woofers and a JET5 tweeter.
The VELA FS 408 woofers are equipped with powerful magnet systems and feature a long-stroke design. This combination allows for breath-taking performance in the low-frequency range while the integrated AS -XR technology ensures the highest accuracy in mid-frequency range reproduction. As always within the VELA line, the JET5 tweeter completes the driver setup with its ease in performing and the capability to present the airband.
The superior output of VELA FS 408 in the low-frequency range is an update to the great performing VELA FS 407. The narrowed dispersion in midrange however differs from the one of VELA FS 409 offering more choices to find the perfect match in terms of room acoustics and personal taste.
VELA Range from ELAC
The Benefits of Vela Design
• Crystal membrane woofer with an extended frequency range
• Jet 5 tweeter offering a wide dynamic range
• Bi-wiring configuration to enhance midrange
• Die cast bottom plate with an integrated double-flanged super silent down-firing bass reflex port
• Convex baffle shape reducing reflections
Elac Jet Technology
• Elac’s Jet tweeter is one of the most legendary tweeters in our industry; having been honoured with many accolades for transparency and sound image.
• Linear frequency response > 50kHz
• Extended lower frequency range ~ 400 Hz
• Ultra-fast transient response – detail resolution
• Cope with ultra-high harmonics – adding some of the air and sense of space
• Designed and manufactured by Elac in Kiel, Germany
Elac AS-XR Technology
• Aluminium Sandwich Membrane with Extended Frequency Range (AS-XR)
• Extended frequency response and increased stability
• Increased stiffness• Smooth roll off
• Excellent large signal behaviour
• The crystal-shaped aluminium cone is joined to the paper cone in a special gluing process to result in the desired sandwich construction.
• Resembling the surface of a large crystal, the aluminium-foil stamping stiffens the aluminium cone, diminishing resonances and minimizing coloration, while improving power handling and dynamics
• Vanishing Point
• Minimal front baffle visual impact
• Eliminating the visual of a front port
• Integrating luxury material and finishes and highlighting their use
• Strength and beauty
• Moving away from square lines and maintaining tradition
• Simple lines minimizing visual complexity
• Slight tilt to give the illusion of eye contact creating personal connection between you and the speaker.
The sound of VELA shows it´s family background to successful series 400. But the advantages are distinct. The angling of the cabinet in combination with the new wave-guide of the JET tweeter improves the definition of stereo and multi-channel audio in modern furnishing. But there are more than the obvious changes. For example the optimized drivers are able to reproduce high-energy transients more precisely.
Form Supports Function
The convex shaped baffle and the big radius’s of the cabinet promote the acoustics because influences of cabinet to frequency response are reduced.
Close to Action
The bottom plate is made of aluminium and is featured with a down-firing bass reflex port which gives advantages in positioning the speaker.
Thanks to it’s flexible connections the Vela series offers the ability of using bi-wiring and bi-amping.
|Height x Width x Depth||1307 x 276 x 332 mm|
|Type||3 ½-Way, bass reflex|
|Woofer/Midrange||2 x 180 mm Ø, AS XR cone / 150 mm Ø, AS XR cone|
|Crossover Frequency||140 | 360 | 2700 Hz|
|Frequency Range||28 – 50000 Hz|
|Sensitivity||89 dB at 2,83 V/m|
|Suitable For Amps From||4-8 ohm|
|Recommended Amp Power||40 – 450 W/channel|
|Nominal/Minimum Impedance||4 ohm / 3.2 ohm at 200 Hz|
|Accessories Included||Plate with Spikes and Washer|
|Optional Accessory||Speaker grilles|
Finishes: Black High Gloss, White High Gloss, Walnut High Gloss
Order and Delivery Information
Thank you for considering Yorkshire AV for your next investment in your AV setup.
We are an approved retailer for all brands sold on our website, which means full manufacturers warranty and support as well as detailed product knowledge within our small business.
We use an inventory tracking system which states if item(s) are in stock and if not, what are the likely lead times.
Selecting "Next Day" delivery does not mean you'll receive your item the next day in some cases. It's the next day from when the item(s) are in stock with us. If there is an urgent need then please contact a member of staff via the Live Chat or telephone (01757 826111) to check on live stock levels.
We do ask for some patience during lockdown - we're working remotely from home and travel to the warehouse each day to fulfil orders. If item's aren't in stock - we can usually get them within a couple of days.
We're a small business that's been impacted massively due to COVID-19 and have such had a significant reduction in orders. We're focussing on core products and services with less frequent products being ordered "on demand".
When will orders be dispatched?
- Orders placed Monday - Thursday before 2pm and are in stock will be dispatched the same day for next day delivery. This relates to product that state 'In Stock for immediate dispatch' on the product page.
- Orders placed on after 2pm on Thursday or on Friday will be dispatched for delivery on Monday unless Saturday delivery is selected.
- Orders placed over a weekend and are in stock will be dispatched on Monday.
Orders for items not in stock
Given the vast amount of variations of each product (e.g. AudioQuest cables) or Pro-Ject Audio Turntables - we keep the most common options in stock (i.e. gloss black finish, or 1.5m RCA cables) whereas longer cables or cables with terminations that are less frequently ordered will be ordered as required.
Generally speaking - we receive orders within 2-3 days for UK suppliers and 3-4 days for European suppliers (i.e. AudioQuest, DALI).
We want you to be 100% satisfied which is why we'll give you an email/call if item(s) aren't in stock and give you the option of changing the order, cancelling or if you're happy to wait a few days, we'll get it out as soon as possible.
If an item states 'Available to order. Usually dispatched within 48 hours' - this means the item is not in stock but we are able to order in. Lead times average 2 days but in some circumstances, delivery times may be longer and is outside of our control. Please contact us to get an estimate on delivery times if orders are urgent.
Who do you use for delivery?
Our primary delivery agent is DHL. Where orders are shipped directly from Yorkshire AV, we always use DHL who offer a fabulous service at competitive rates.
If we drop ship (i.e. direct from the supplier) then the delivery agent is out of our control. It is generally DPD or UPS however - we rarely see other carriers used.
As always - we welcome a conversation about your requirements and will always explore all options to connect you with the right solution.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.